Full Pint 01-2024
- gail.com FAQ - Today I learned about a website registered in 1996, that gets a lot of traffic from people mistyping gmail.com. I thought this was a cool story to share. Especially since the domain owner recommends Protonmail.
- Is Cloud the new mainframe? - During my career I have always felt like someone was trying to build a new cheaper mainframe. I remember Sun doing something with thin clients that reminded me of the evolution of the mainframe. I said the same thing about cloud computing when it started. We held off diving in, mostly because we were healthcare and were concerned about medical data being in the cloud. Now our datacenter is cheaper than the cloud.
- SDF Public Access UNIX System - Free Shell Account and Shell Access
- Bill's World - It is just fun, try it.
- Home | Haiku Project - There are other interesting open source operating systems out there besides the BSD and Linux variants. I am experimenting with Haiku as a VM but I intend to maybe install Haiku on my retired gaming system.
- Practice typing by retyping ENTIRE novels — TypeLit.io
- Private Search Engine - Brave Search - Unsure how I never shared Brave. Very popular private search.
- Qwant - The search engine that doesn't know anything about you, and that changes everything! - I shared this quite a while ago, but realized I did not share with the name. Qwant, I decided to try this search engine again after seeing it listed on Mojeek's Mastodon thread discussing private search engines.
- One Album A Day - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - I like the idea, you can explore music you would otherwise never listen to that is interesting, enjoyable and very good for your brain and health. This is a new morning ritual for me.
- ambiphone. ambient music + sounds for work, study and relaxation.
- After ten years, it's time to stop making videos. - YouTube - Tom Scott to stop making regular videos. The man put out some of the highest quality and informative content I have watched.